Friday, March 23, 2012

Learning and Play: An adventure to the Hands on Museum

Learning is fun!

Whenever someone used to tell me this I would look at them like they were crazy. How could learning be fun? Until college, where I began being able to take classes that I actually enjoyed, I thought learning was far from fun. Learning meant one thing for me. Learning mean school. School meant days full of lengthy classes, which bore me. Thus, by the transitive property (yes, this was one thing I did take away from that boring geometry class back in 9th grade…) learning meant boredom!

But then I began college. And learning began to take on a new meaning for me. I took classes that interested me with professors who were so engaging that I actually looked forward to class for the first time in my life. I encountered new forms of learning: interactive learning.

Outside the museum
For Minor Quest #3, the only thing we were given was: UTM 17T 272566 4684679. We had to determine what this code meant and any further steps. Figuring out what this code meant was like a game for me. It was something fun, a puzzle. After figuring out that these numbers and letters correlated to the Hands on Museum in Ann Arbor, my friend and I decided to go see what this museum was.

 


When we walked in, the first thing I saw was a sign that said, “Discover the scientist within you”. This museum was an interactive children’s museum—a fun way for kids to learn. Children can learn about scientific concepts though the various hands on exhibits and activities. The Visitor Guide says, “Discover the scientist within you as you experiment by pushing, pulling, twisting, touching, shaping, building and turning. Get ready to have fun as you embark on a science adventure!” According to Susan Gelman, a psychology professor at the University of Michigan, play is a fundamental activity during childhood in all cultures. Play takes many forms: parallel play (when kids are next to each other playing but do not actually interact), traditional games, sports, board games and role-play. While “pushing, pulling, twisting, touching, shaping, building and turning” activities are not the types of games Gelman talks about, I could consider this museum a new, modern form of a game. Children at the museum participate in an engaging, fun form of play.
An exhibit on health & balance

Even as a college student, I found myself engaged in the activities intended for preschoolers and elementary-age kids. In fact, I found myself as engaged in these activities as I am when I play games intended for my age, like sports. As I explored each of the exhibits, I found myself having fun in a way I never imagined I could as a nineteen year old. Each exhibit was not only a game, but also had information about some concept. Some of these facts were completely new to me, even as a college student.

Taylor at the Health Exhibit
What we thought would be a quick trip to the museum simply to figure out why this museum was the place we were supposed to go for the quest, we spent over an hour there having a blast. I felt as if I was a young child again, drawn to these extraordinary stimuli. Each exhibit was bright and attractive, full of information in an easy to comprehend manner. As I progressed through the museum, I remained interested and attentive to each exhibit. In my opinion, the main reason for this was the hands-on nature of the museum.

Me at the Architecture Exhibit
Usually, I get extremely bored at museums. As a child I would dread when my grandparents wanted to take me to the Art Institute in Chicago or the Field Museum. All I wanted to do was have fun, but at these museums I had to be quiet and careful not to touch anything. However, at this museum, the whole point was to interact with the various exhibits as a form of learning. This made the learning fun and informative. Since I could interact and play with the different exhibits, I felt as if the exhibits were types of games. This kept me engaged in learning because I was not simply reading information or observing various displays. Instead, I was able to create fun out of learning. While I was technically doing a homework assignment at the museum, I really felt the enjoyment I felt as a child in playing games. With games, like the ones I played in the museum, I was explicitly learning but also playing and enjoying the learning at the same time.

Taylor in the Building Block Exhibit
In our society today, parents, teachers, kids and many other influential individuals so greatly stress the importance of education that children are limited in their playtime. According to Melinda Wenner, in the article The Serious Need for Play, “Starting them as early as preschool, parents concerned about getting their kids into the right colleges are filling after-school hours with music lessons and sports—reducing time for the type of imaginative and rambunctious cavorting that fosters creativity and cooperation,” (Werner, 24).  This museum is a concrete bridge between play and education. It incorporates play within learning about things such as the planets, health and fitness, bone structure, physical properties of the earth, light and many more. These game-like exhibits help children learn, while also providing them with the freedom to approach the exhibits in any way they desire, making them both fun and educational.

With this, I realized learning really is fun!

Works Cited: 

Wenner, Melinda. (2009). The Serious Need for Play. Scientific Americans MindFebruary/March, 22-29. Retrieved from www.SciAmMind.com.
Gelman, Susan. Fun and Games in Childhood. UC 256. The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. 22 February 2012. Lecture.


5 comments:

  1. I can't believe we didn't talk about this haha. Donavan and I went to the Hands-on Museum also, and had fun. We stayed on the first floor. We were trying to find something that would tip us off as to what the next clue would be on the scavenger hunt. Sadly, our final destination was the museum. I can't wait to take my kids there and have as much fun as them.
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with everything you just said! When I was at the museum I was immediately captivated by the bright colors and new and interesting exhibits. One of my first thoughts was why didn't my babysitter ever take me to museums like this?! As a child I felt strong animosity towards museums. They were always so boring and you couldn't touch anything. This museum was so interesting and fun. I know that the target market for the museum is not for college students, however I was still able to learn many new things. I was so impressed by the intellectual level of many of the exhibits. I feel that this museum is an example of how technology is enabling children to learn difficult concepts at a younger age. I also enjoyed watching the children interact and I was able to see the benefit of hands on learning. I agree that this museum did make learning fun!
    -Shannon Funsch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share a lot of the same thoughts as you, considering we went on this adventure together. I think it is safe to say we were both surprised at how much fun we ended up having in a children's museum. This probably has a lot to do with your discussion on how play can be a form of learning. The museum was created to be very exciting and kid-friendly, as seen in the bright colors and interactive exhibits which you described. Thus, even as young adults, we were able to have fun learning about things that we actually already knew about, so it is easy to imagine how much more fun younger kids who don't yet have a lot of this knowledge would really enjoy this museum. However, a point to consider is that learning can be a form a play if museums and other activities figure out ways to make it fun. For instance, the museum did a great job at doing this as I mentioned earlier and that is why play was able to be a form of learning, but the two don't just go hand in hand. Effort definitely needs to be put in to help make play more about learning as a way to involve more kids.
    Taylor Rothman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to lie. As much as I enjoy strolling through art museums and botanical gardens, I have this unquenchable urge to touch pretty much everything. Even though the Hands on Museum teaches pretty elementary facts and history with its exhibits, it's undeniably fun because it is a museum that seems to go against the very concept of museums; touch everything you want to touch. Unfortunately, there isn't something like this for grown-ups. I frequently hear people talk about how "smooth this leather is" or how "fine the cotton is on that suit" or how "light these headphones are." I think it is possible for there to be such a thing as a connoisseur of feel as much as there are gourmands and audiophiles. A museum for these types of people would be pretty awesome and fun. It could have exhibits like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnen2nSmDY. Even I would be delighted if I could hold that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one was one of those kids who actually enjoyed going to the historical museums as a child. I know, nerdy right. For minor quest #3, I unfortunately did not get the chance to stroll to the Child's Museum, but after this blog post, I may find may way around there sometime before the school year is up. From a learning standpoint, I also feel as though interactive learning styles always cement the ideas more so than boring lectures.

    ReplyDelete