Monday, March 12, 2012

Serial gamer

About one month ago, I downloaded the game, Temple Run, to my iphone. I had heard about it from my friend and figured this game would provide me with decent entertainment in my free time. Little did I know, this game would soon take over the majority of my time. I found myself unable to put it down! I played it the second I clicked the "off" button on my alarm in the morning, on the way to class, during class (not UC, of course!), at the dinner table - basically whenever, wherever. This game was so much fun! - well, at the time.
Now, four weeks later, I won't even open up the application for this game if someone begged me! I had my time with it, and now, I'm just over it. It's ironic that the game I was obsessed with for weeks now makes me cringe. The way these iphone games work is just funny -- You download a game and decide you like it. Then, since our phones are practically with us at all times, the game is available to us essentially 24/7. The convenience of the games allow us to become extremely addicted. Then, after playing the game an unhealthy amount of times, you just get tired of it. So, what do you do? You move on to the next one! The iphone basically sets up speed dating for iphone games/apps.
P.S. My new addiction is scramble with friends.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this. I was addicted to Scramble with Friends and Hanging with Friends for a few months. Whenever I would get a notification for these games I would immediately play back. However, when I got back from spring break I felt like I couldn't even look at either of these games-- I got SO sick of them!

    I think the reason that we get so addicted to iphone games is because they are way too convenient and at our disposal. We constantly have our phones with us and therefore it is too easy to play. However, typical videos are not as convenient (you have to play at a computer or TV), and therefore we don't get sick of them or overplay them.

    The iphone is lucky they have an infinite amount of apps or else users would get bored very quickly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring a good point, the fact that the games are available 24/7 definitely shortens the lifetimes of the games.

    Unlike console games or even computer games, phone games don't require us to remain seated and wait for specific checkpoints. Instead, phone games are designed to be quick and replayable. The introduction of Multitask for iphones (in iOS 3 I believe) even let you pause the entire game, do your business either off your phone or on your phone, and resume your game at your convenience! These games are essentially recipes for addiction. I've recently taken to Draw Something, although it is losing its luster I must say. (2 week lifespan so far)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the trend of iPhone apps is showing a trend reflecting changes in modern day structure. Is society soon going to start having preference in simple and convenient options and products rather than things that require more skill because they have more depth?

    -Jen Joseph
    The Fantastic Four

    ReplyDelete