Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Class Competition

After reading Sarah’s blog post “A Counter Example to the N-effect”, I began thinking about how school is really just another form of a game. Students compete with themselves, classmates, friends, siblings, and many other people to be able to get the best grades. The goal of getting good grades can be short or long term. Short term some goals may be to be on the honor role, to feel like your hard work paid off or to prove to someone else your intelligence. More long-term goals related to getting good grades include: getting into college, getting into graduate school or getting the job offer you want.
My competitive drive in school to receive good grades results from internal motivation to do the best I possibly can so that I have enabled myself to have the best possible opportunity to get the job I want out of graduate school. In terms of school work, I am hard on myself to reach my full potential, but I also feel competitive with other students when there are a limited number of top grades—such as when a class is graded on a curved scale. Particularly in big lectures, where I am not sure how a professor will grade a test, paper or other type of assignment, I feel the most competitive. I do not know the academic abilities of the hundreds of other students in that big class. However, in a smaller class or discussion I have a better idea of where I rank among the other students. Further, with a smaller class size, it is easier to build a relationship with the professor in the classroom situation. You are able to get a better sense of they will grade and the types of skills that are most important to them.
This idea about class size reminded me of a topic covered in my Psychology 250 (Developmental Psychology) class taught by Doctor Christopher Monk. In this class, we learned about a study on what makes a school effective. The results demonstrated that kids (from Kindergarten- 3rd grade) in smaller class sizes had greater achievement in later grades, and were more likely to graduate. The reason behind this was determined to be that teachers of smaller classes spend the most amount of time giving individual attention to students, in turn providing the most effective teaching atmosphere for each student.
With this information, I came to the conclusion that the reason I felt the most competitive in larger classes was the information and way it is presented is less personally tailored to the ways in which I learn best. However, in a smaller class, whether or not the professor specifically tailors the information, it is easier to build a close-knit relationship with them and get the most out of learning. In a big lecture, the way a professor teaches may be more beneficial for other students than me, and so I feel more competitive to work harder to still receive the grade I want in the class.
However, Stephen Garcia’s idea of the N-effect claims that increasing the number of competitors decreases competition among competitors. In order to determine if other people also felt the opposite of the N-effect, I decided to conduct a survey that I posted to my Facebook and emailed to various college students. I found that I was indeed in the minority who felt this way about large classes.  The results were as follow:






The results paralleled Garcia’s findings with the N-effect. People felt most competitive with their friends—people who are very close in social-relation orientation—aside from feeling competitive to beat their personal best. They also felt most competitive in a small class, discussion or seminar. While these results were consisted with the N-effect, I hope to further explore why I feel so differently.

2 comments:

  1. The beginning of your post resonates with me a lot. I find it interesting to think about school as a form of a game in which we are competing, and then ask myself, why are we competing and what are we competing for? As you said, we are competing to get good grades, get into good grad schools, and hopefully get good jobs and be competitive in all of those situations. However, I think that the way in which schools, particularly larger institutions, are formatted sometimes leads to people caring only about the competition-only doing the work that counts-which oftentimes does not lead to really learning anything other than how to take a test or how to write a paper in a way that gets the best grade. Sometimes I feel as if I do not get enough out of my education because of all of this competition. However, I do not see much of a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m an exchange student from the Netherland, and coming to the University of Michigan makes me realize how lucky we in Holland are with the Dutch school system. When we get our VWO High school diploma after 6 (I admit often stressful years) our spot at any university is basically guaranteed. Here it is not only difficult to get a spot at a good University, the real challenge begins once you are in. If you decide after a certain period to follow a course, you have to pass because there are no retakes and failure has consequences for your Grade point average (GPA).In order to have a shot to get in to a certain internship/master you have to make sure that your GPA is higher than high, which means you have to pass your courses with an A. So when I was glad that I just passed an exam with a C+ the guy next to me was curing about his b+…. Everyone is talking about ‘the need to step it up’ but they aren’t talking about passing or failing the course they are talking about the difference between getting an A- or A+! An overcrowded library far after bedtime isn’t an exception over here. I have thought about why there is so much of a difference between the competiveness here compared to Holland but I can only guess. I think a lot/everything has to do with the government. In Europe we are ‘taking care of’ if we lose our job or can’t make enough money. Her in America I you can’t find a job or don’t make enough money so you can save for your retirement and pay of your debts that you had to make to even get an education, your basically ****** so everybody works their as of to get the best job possible. I think it’s a shame because once again it’s all about the money and I think a lot of people base their major on ‘what gives them the best job in the future’ instead of what makes them the most happy.

    ReplyDelete