Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Feeling Like No Other-flow

After talking about "flow" in class, I got to thinking. As an athlete in high school, I continuously pushed myself to a point where my mind would be completely clear. While many of my teammates played to clear their minds to think, I loved the feeling of pushing myself to where I was thinking about nothing. This got me thinking. If that's how I felt in high school, being an athlete for a major university must be amazing. On top of playing to an extremely high standard, you also have hundreds of fans, including fellow students, cheering you on. The competitive level is in a league of its own. You move from a high school level to college, while in college, you need to work harder then everyone else in order to gain a spot in the pros. After this class began, it got me thinking about an interview I did for one of my sport management classes this year. One of my good friends left Michigan after his sophomore year in order to pursue a dream in the NBA. During the fall semester, I interviewed former Michigan guard and Los Angeles Laker Darius Morris about his thoughts on playing basketball abroad, and what it means for players to travel to other countries to play.


1.     How do you feel about international players playing for the NBA?
I like it because it shows that anybody can play the game. It’s cool because it broadens basketball’s horizons so other people can get involved.

2.     Do you think the NBA should implement a language learning program or should players have to learn it on their own?
If a player comes over, they get a translator, for example, Yao Ming had a translator but eventually learned it on his own.

3.     What fears would you have if you went to play in Europe?
Being away from home and the new culture. Communication would also be really difficult and would be hard to adjust. The style of play is different but for me the struggles would be more off court.

4.     Have you had any interactions with international players? If yes, have you had trouble communicating with them?
Yes, however I keep it basic, I can’t use slang but they are usually able to understand a little bit.

5.     Would you want to learn foreign languages to communicate with potential international players?
I would try to make an effort to learn their language and lifestyle; it would be my responsibility. My brother played overseas and was able to pick up on stuff from his teammates that would help him understand, but he really just did it on his own.

6.     Do you think the media treats non-English speakers equally?
Yes to a certain extent. It really just depends on the players abilities, Yao Ming is an example, his skill translated into media attention. However if there is a non English speaking player and an English speaking player with equal talent, it might be better for a reporter to go to the English speaking player.

7.     In your opinion, what is the biggest difference between European programs and American programs?
The states have more resources that other countries don’t and it is also easier for us to go to college, there is an easier transition to the NBA compared to someone trying to come in and play from overseas. But it doesn't matter where you play, it is the feeling of just "being" while you play. As a former college athlete, I remember the feeling of feeling nothing. Every time I step on the court, I strive for that feeling because I know I am doing something right.

I realized he is talking about flow. That feeling of working so hard for something, being so good at it that it becomes a part of you and you have no thoughts or feelings while doing it. It is something that everyone should try and feel at least once and I am really looking forward to learning about other types of games during the rest of the semester. Go Blue!


1 comment:

  1. Nicole,

    I really enjoyed reading your post about flow. Being an athlete in high school and still playing here always me to really relate to the idea of flow. Also, I really found the correlation between the ability to play anywhere and maintain a sense of flow a valid argument, that in which I completely agree with. Lastly, I enjoyed the personal touch of incorporating Darius Morris into the post. I wish Darius nothing but the best in the NBA.

    ReplyDelete